Monday, September 3, 2012

Traditional Cathedral Windows Mini Quilt

This is the finished piece for QAL #3 - Traditional Cathedral Windows.

Traditional Cathedral Windows Mini Quilt
This project took a while to complete, mainly because I had unexpected guests for most of July and August was very busy as we went on a cruise of the Inland Passage in Alaska.

I like the quilting on the back of this Cathedral Windows (CW) quilt which was accomplished while the frames were being sewn down over the window frames.

Quilting on back of mini quilt
I took a serpentine route, somewhat akin to continuous quilting, down the blocks of the quilt as I stitched the frames in place, folding down the bias sides as I went.  This added more interest to an otherwise mundane process.  The center of the quilt was sewn first in this way and then the top and side edges were sewn in one, continuous step.

There are several reasons why this quilt was so interesting to make, not the least of which is that no batting or backing is required.  It's a quilt-as-you-go (QAYG) project and is perfect for small segments of available time.  Even though I'm very proud of this little quilt as it now looks, it can be expanded to a full size quilt by adding on more CW blocks over time.

On the other hand, it can be converted into a cushion cover, used as a table topper or simply displayed as a mini quilt.

It's now time to pick up my most recent work-in-process (WIP) and finish my Twisted Christmas Wreath quilt.

Until then,

Cheers!






No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from all of you, so please feel free to leave a comment.

If you have a question I'll reply to your comment. If you prefer an email response, please mention that and make sure your blogger profile is linked to your e-mail, otherwise I won't be able to e-mail you back.

Please note that any and all comments posted by 'Anonymous' persons are deleted without exception as a means of nuisance abatement.

Thanks so much for reading and commenting on this post.

Chumkie.